Slow Cooker Pozole Recipe
- 1 dried chile negro (pasilla) soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes, and drained
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth
- ¾ pound pork tenderloin, cubed
- ¾ pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 ½ teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (15 ounce) can white hominy, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can yellow hominy, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
step 1: Remove the stem from the rehydrated chile pepper. Combine with 1 can of chicken broth in a blender or food processor, and puree until smooth. Pour into a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker.
step 2: Pour in the remaining can of chicken broth, and add the beef broth, pork, chicken, onion, garlic, green chilies, and white and yellow hominy. Season with the bay leaf, oregano, and cumin. Cover, and cook on High for 4 to 5 hours, or on Low for 6 to 7 hours. Remove the bay leaf before serving.