Smoked Ham, Barley and Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 10 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 3 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 3/4 pound russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 3/4 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon Savory Market™ Fresh Tomato Flavor
- 1 teaspoon Savory Market™ Country Ham Flavor
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarse ground
- 1 pound Great Northern beans (soaked according to directions)
step 1: Bring broth and ham hocks to boil in large pot. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes. Add diced potatoes, tomatoes with juices, onion, carrots, celery, barley, beans, Savory Market Flavors and oregano. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until meat and barley are tender, about 1 hour.
step 2: Using tongs, remove ham hocks from soup. Cut meat off bones and chop coarsely. Return meat to soup; discard bones. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.