Sonora Chicken Recipe
- 6 large bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili, no beans
- 1 cup picante sauce
- ½ cup milk
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 corn tortillas, torn into strips
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Monterey Jack cheese
step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
step 2: Place chicken in a baking dish. Cover and bake for 1 hour in preheated oven. Remove chicken from dish and allow to cool. Remove meat from bone and tear into small pieces.
step 3: Meanwhile, mix the cream of mushroom soup, the cream of chicken soup, chili, picante sauce, milk, onion, cumin, and garlic powder in a large bowl.
step 4: Spread half the shredded chicken into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover the chicken with half of the tortilla pieces. Pour half of the sauce on top of the tortillas; sprinkle half the Cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese evenly over the dish. Repeat the layers with the rest of the ingredients.
step 5: Bake in preheated oven until all the cheese has melted and sauce mixture is bubbling, 35 to 40 minutes.