Soup La Angelena Recipe
- 12 cups water
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, with leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh green beans, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup barley flakes
step 1: In a large stock pot, add water and 2 large potatoes, peeled and quartered. Bring to boil, then add mashed tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes, add barley and rice and cook until potatoes are tender.
step 2: Remove potatoes and mash together with margarine, set aside.
step 3: Add salt, pepper, carrots and beans and cook for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
step 4: Add onions, cubed potatoes, celery, peas and broccoli and cook for 5 minutes.
step 5: Add the mashed potatoes and stir. Add barley flakes and cook for an additional 5 minutes and serve.