Spaghetti Sauce II Recipe
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 pound Italian sausage links (optional)
step 1: Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Saute onions and garlic until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients (except sausage links) and simmer over low heat for 3 hours.
step 2: With one hour cooking time remaining, cook and brown sausages in a skillet. When browned, place in sauce and continue to simmer. Remove bay leaves before serving. Serve over hot cooked noodles, with sausages on the side.