Spanish Steak Roll with Sauteed Vegetables Recipe
- 1 pound trimmed boneless beef sirloin steak, cut 3/4 inch thick*
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut lengthwise into strips
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dairy sour cream
- 1 tablespoon drained, chopped and canned green chilies
- Lemon slices
- Cilantro sprigs
step 1: Pound beef steak with flat side of meat mallet to about 1/4 inch thickness. Combine 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and pepper; sprinkle over the steak. Heat 1 teaspoon oil and butter in 12 inch heavy frying pan over medium heat until hot. Panfry steak 5 to 7 minutes for medium-rare or to desired doneness, turning once. Remove steak to heated platter; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Keep warm.
step 2: Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to frying pan. Add red and green peppers, onion, mushrooms and walnuts. Cook for two minutes, stirring frequently. Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and chili powder; sprinkle over vegetables and continue cooking 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Spread steak with sour cream; top with chilies. Starting with the short side, roll up steak jelly roll fashion; secure with 4 wooden tooth picks. Spoon vegetables around the steak roll; garnish with lemon slices and cilantro sprigs.
step 3: To serve, carve steak roll between wooden picks; remove and discard wooden picks.