Menudo Rojo (Red Menudo) Recipe
- 3 gallons water, divided
- 2 1/2 pounds beef tripe, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons ground red pepper
- 5 de arbol chile peppers
- 6 japones chile peppers, seeds removed
- 6 cups canned white or yellow hominy, drained
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes, juiced
step 1: In a large pot, bring 1 gallon water to a boil. Place tripe in the pot, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours. Periodically skim off fat with a spoon. Drain water, reduce heat, and pour in a fresh gallon of water. Continue to simmer tripe for 2 hours; drain.
step 2: Pour remaining 1 gallon water into the pot with tripe, and bring to a boil. Stir in garlic and 1 white onion. Season with salt, pepper, oregano, and red pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
step 3: Preheat the broiler.
step 4: Arrange the de arbol chile peppers on a baking sheet, and broil about 2 minutes, just until they begin to scorch. Remove from heat, slit lengthwise, and remove seeds. In a blender or food processor, blend the de arbol chile peppers and japones chile peppers until very finely chopped. Mix into the pot, and continue cooking 2 hours over low heat.
step 5: Mix the hominy into the pot. Continue cooking 1 hour. Serve with remaining onion, cilantro, and lime juice.