Spinach and Red Chard Quiche Recipe
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked 9 inch pie crust
- 1/2 pound spinach, rinsed and chopped
- 1/2 pound red Swiss chard, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 small oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1 (12 ounce) package firm tofu, cubed
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
step 2: Bake pie crust until lightly browned. Meanwhile, place spinach and Swiss chard in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water, and cover. Lightly cook, about 5 minutes.
step 3: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and saute onions and garlic. When onions become transparent add spinach and chard. Stir in curry powder, parsley, salt and pepper. Saute until spinach and chard reduce, then add mushrooms and capers. Stir and remove from heat.
step 4: In a blender or food processor, combine tofu, milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom and Parmesan cheese. Process until smooth and creamy. Pour over vegetables and mix well. Transfer mixture to the pie crust.
step 5: Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle top with Cheddar cheese. Bake for 10 more minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned.