Stuffed Peppers Italian Style Recipe
- 4 green bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 (1 pound) loaf stale Italian bread, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovy fillets, chopped
- 8 pitted green olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place peppers in a greased baking dish; set aside. Place crumbled bread in a large bowl, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup water; set aside.
step 2: Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over low heat. Saute onion until translucent, then stir in garlic. Let garlic cook for 2 minutes, then stir into bread. Add anchovies, olives, olive oil, black pepper and red pepper. Mix until well blended. Mound pepper halves with stuffing. Surround peppers with tomato sauce and a small amount of water. Cover with foil.
step 3: Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until peppers are tender. Uncover for the last 15 minutes of baking, and baste occasionally with sauce.