- 2 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup drained cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
step 1: Dissolve the yeast and 2 tablespoons white sugar in the warm milk.
step 2: Sift flour into a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture, egg yolks, salt, nutmeg, butter, and remaining sugar. Stir flour into center. Once combined turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface knead until dough is elastic. Cover and let dough rise overnight in the refrigerator.
step 3: Remove dough from the refrigerator and roll on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 2-inch rounds. Cover and let rise for about 15 to 20 minutes.
step 4: In a medium bowl combine the cottage cheese, egg, 3 tablespoons white sugar, and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
step 5: Form dough rounds into a ball and insert about 2 teaspoons of cheese filling into each of the rounds.
step 6: In a heavy pot, pour in oil to about the 2 1/2 inch mark. Heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Drop sufganiot (doughnuts) into the oil in batches, turning when browned. Drain on paper towels and roll in confectioners' sugar.