Sweet Rice (Zarda) Recipe
- 4 cups uncooked white rice
- 1/4 teaspoon orange food color
- 10 pods whole cardamom
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
step 1: Place the rice in a bowl with water to cover and soak one hour.
step 2: Bring a large pot of water to boil with food color and half the cardamom pods. Stir in the rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, 20 minutes.
step 3: In a large skillet over low heat, cook remaining cardamom pods in oil 2 minutes. Stir in cooked, drained rice, and sugar. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream, raisins, walnuts, almonds and orange zest. Serve warm.