Sweet and Sour Meatballs IV Recipe
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules, divided
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 1 egg
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained with juice reserved
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
step 1: In a small saucepan, dissolve 2 teaspoons of the bouillon granules in 1/4 cup boiling water. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, and egg. Mix in the dissolved bouillon. Shape into meatballs, about 1 to 2 inches in diameter.
step 2: In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown the meatballs on all sides. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, remaining beef bouillon granules, and ginger. Pour into the pan with meatballs. Cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
step 3: In a small bowl, combine remaining pineapple juice and cornstarch. Stir into meatball mixture, and simmer until thickened. Add green pepper and pineapple chunks; heat thoroughly.