Texas Praline Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup brown sugar, not packed
- 10 pecan halves (optional)
step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease just the bottom of a 10 inch tube pan.
step 2: In a large bowl, cream together the butter, 1 cup brown sugar and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Stir in vanilla. Dissolve the coffee crystals in water, and stir into the creamed mixture until blended. Stir together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; stir into the batter until just incorporated. Fold in pecans. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
step 3: Bake for about 55 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack.
step 4: In a chilled bowl, stir together the heavy cream, salt, vanilla and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar so that the sugar is dissolved. Whip using chilled beaters until stiff. Run a knife around the outer edge of the cake in the pan, and tap it out onto a serving plate. Make sure cake is completely cool before frosting. Decorate with pecan halves if you like.