The Humble Shepherd Recipe
- cooking spray
- 1 ½ pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch thick slices
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (1 ounce) packages instant chicken gravy mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheese of choice
step 1: Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
step 2: Cover potatoes with water in a saucepan and boil for 20 to 30 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain and beat until smooth with an electric mixer. Add butter, milk, and salt and pepper to taste; beat to desired consistency.
step 3: Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook and stir turkey and onion until turkey is fully cooked. Add gravy mix and water; stir often, until gravy is thick and bubbly. Season with salt and pepper.
step 4: Add turkey mixture to the baking dish. Next, layer the peas and carrots, and top with the mashed potatoes. Top with a layer of shredded cheese.
step 5: Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and the potatoes are golden on the top.