The New Layered Salad Recipe
- 4 cups torn mixed greens
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup red and/or yellow cherry tomatoes, quartered or halved
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh fennel bulb or celery
- 1 cup chopped yellow and/or red sweet peppers (1 large)
- 1 cup diced cooked turkey ham (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup light mayonnaise dressing or salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh fennel tops or 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat or smoke-flavored Cheddar cheese
step 1: Place mixed greens in the bottom of a 2-1/2-quart clear salad bowl. Layer in the following order: garbanzo beans, tomatoes, sliced fennel or celery, sweet peppers, turkey ham, and green onions.
step 2: For dressing, stir together mayonnaise or salad dressing, milk, snipped fennel tops or fennel seed, and white pepper. Spread the dressing over the top of the salad, sealing to the edge of the bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Chill for 4 to 24 hours.
step 3: Before serving, top salad with cheese; toss gently to mix.
step 4: Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare salad. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours. Add cheese and toss before serving.