Three-Onion Pie with Feta or Goat Cheese Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 leeks, bulb only, sliced into rings
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill weed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs
- ground black pepper to taste
step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
step 2: Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the yellow and red onions, and saute over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the wine, then add the leeks. Saute for another 15 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the onions are golden and the leeks are limp. Remove from heat.
step 3: In a mixing bowl, combine the beaten eggs with dill, tarragon, feta cheese, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Stir in the onion mixture.
step 4: Oil a 10 inch tart pan, and line the bottom generously with bread crumbs. Pour in the onion mixture. Ring the outside edge of the pie with tomato slices, and sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley in the center. Sprinkle a light layer of bread crumbs over the entire top.
step 5: Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the mixture is set and the top is golden. Let stand for 10 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve.