Three Cheese-Stuffed French Toast Recipe
- 8 (2 inch thick) slices French bread
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup cornflakes cereal crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 cups sliced fresh peaches
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting
- 4 tablespoons apricot-flavored syrup, or to taste
step 1: The night before: Split each bread slice four fifths of the way through. Spread the two sides apart so that they look like butterfly wings. Use a fork hollow out a shallow pocket on the inside of each slice. Discard the crumbs; set bread aside.
step 2: In a medium bowl, mix together the mozzarella, cream cheese and ricotta cheese. Stir in the apricot jam. Spoon 2 tablespoons of cheese mixture into each bread slice. Place slices in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Cover and chill, 8 hours or overnight.
step 3: The next morning: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
step 4: Beat together eggs and milk. Dip bread slices into egg mixture and dredge in cornflakes crumbs. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat; cook bread 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Place in a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
step 5: Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
step 6: In a medium frying pan or skillet, heat 1/4 cup butter, 2 tablespoons sugar, and ginger over medium heat. Add peaches and cook for 3 minutes.
step 7: Arrange French toast slices on individual plates. Top each serving evenly with peach slices, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with apricot syrup.