Tom Yum Koong Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 12 mushrooms, halved
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 4 cups water
- 2 lemon grass
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 slices galangal
- 4 chile padi (bird's eye chiles)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 limes, juiced
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot chile paste
- 1 tablespoon tom yum soup paste (optional)
step 1: Trim lemongrass and cut into matchstick size pieces.
step 2: To make stock: Add the shrimp heads and shells to water, then cook for 20 minutes. Turn the fire off. Soak the heads and shells for further 20 minutes before discarding.
step 3: Trim lemongrass and cut into matchstick size pieces.
step 4: Add stock, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, chili padi, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and chili paste to a pot and bring to a boil. After boiling for 5 minutes, add shrimps and both mushrooms. Cook for further 10 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.