Tomatillo Soup Recipe
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded thin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound chopped tomatillos
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup sour cream (optional)
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
step 1: Heat oil over high heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Saute chicken in oil until both sides are browned, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove the chicken, and set aside.
step 2: Add onions and garlic to saucepan, and saute until golden. Stir in the tomatillos, jalapeno peppers, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover the pot, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
step 3: Puree vegetables in batches in a blender or food processor. Return to pot, and reheat. At this point taste the soup; if not piquant enough, add cayenne pepper or pepper sauce.
step 4: Slice the chicken into thin slices, and then shred. Stir into soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
step 5: When ready to serve, stir in the minced cilantro and ladle into bowls. Put a dollop of sour cream on top of each portion, and let it melt a bit. Top each dollop with a single cilantro leaf, and serve immediately.