Tomato Bredie Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 pounds lamb or mutton breast chops, chopped into portions
- 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 1/4 pounds fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 whole white peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cube beef bouillon cube
- 2 medium potatoes, quartered (optional)
step 1: Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Dredge meat in flour, and cook in hot oil until well browned.
step 2: Stir in onions, and cook until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Mix in tomatoes. Season with salt, black pepper, white peppercorns, bay leaves, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and beef bouillon cube. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 1/4 hours. Stir occasionally, making sure nothing sticks on the bottom of the pot.
step 3: Stir in the potatoes and cook for an additional 45 minutes, until the potatoes are done and the meat is tender.