Tomato Rice Stew Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 unpeeled potatoes, diced
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can whole leaf spinach, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained and sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
step 1: In a large saucepan, mix the water, rice, potatoes, tomato paste, and tomato sauce. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and stir in basil, sugar, salt, and bay leaves. Cook about 15 minutes, stirring often, until potatoes and rice are tender but firm.
step 2: Mix spinach, stewed tomatoes, and lemon juice into the saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, or until rice has finished cooking and the mixture has thickened.