Tomato Salsa Recipe
- 5 pounds Roma tomatoes
- 3 green bell peppers, diced
- 8 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 (4 ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
step 1: In a six-quart pot of boiling water, blanch tomatoes, drain and cool under cold water. Peel and coarsely chop. Return chopped tomatoes to pot, bring to boil and reduce heat. Skim juice from top of tomatoes and reserve, if you'd like, for another use. Do not overcook and allow tomatoes to remain chunky.
step 2: In two quarts of boiling salted water, add chopped bell peppers, celery, jalapenos, garlic, green chilies and cook until all ingredients are tender. Drain and add vegetables to tomatoes.
step 3: Add salt, oregano, black pepper and cilantro. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
step 4: Hot pack the salsa in clean pint jars. Follow manufactures suggestions on preparing the lids and jars for proper sealing.