Tortilla Soup III Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chopped onions
- 6 2/3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 1 1/2 cups shredded American cheese
- 5 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
step 1: In a large skillet over medium high heat, combine the ground beef and onions and saute for 5 minutes, or until beef is browned. Drain excess fat and set meat aside.
step 2: In a large pot over high heat, combine the broth, tomatoes, cumin and garlic. Add the cayenne pepper, chili powder and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low.
step 3: In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the water, stirring well until the cornstarch is dissolved. Add slowly to the soup, stirring constantly, to thicken.
step 4: Add the reserved meat, corn and cheese to the soup and stir well. Finally, add the tortilla strips and allow to heat through.