Traditional Chicken Curry Recipe
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 (8 ounce) can peeled, chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 (5.5 ounce) can tomato juice
- fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
step 1: In a large bowl, toss the chicken pieces with lemon juice, salt, and pepper to coat. Set aside.
step 2: Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cumin seed and cook 1 minute, until lightly toasted. Mix in onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook until onion is tender. Add tomatoes, and season with chili powder, turmeric, garam masala, ground cumin, coriander, and paprika. Continue to cook and stir 2 minutes.
step 3: Mix yogurt into the saucepan until well blended. Add chicken pieces, and potatoes. Mix in water and tomato juice. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer about 40 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.