Turkey in a Smoker Recipe
- 1 (10 pound) whole turkey, neck and giblets removed
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) cans cola-flavored carbonated beverage
- 1 apple, quartered
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
step 1: Preheat smoker to 225 to 250 degrees F (110 to 120 degrees C).
step 2: Rinse turkey under cold water, and pat dry. Rub the crushed garlic over the outside of the bird, and sprinkle with seasoned salt. Place in a disposable roasting pan. Fill turkey cavity with butter, cola, apple, onion, garlic powder, salt, and ground black pepper. Cover loosely with foil.
step 3: Smoke at 225 to 250 degrees F (110 to 120 degrees C) for 10 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C) when measured in the thickest part of the thigh. Baste the bird every 1 to 2 hours with the juices from the bottom of the roasting pan.