U.S. Navy Minced Beef On Toast Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (8 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (5.5 ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
step 1: In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onions until beef is evenly browned; do not drain. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in flour 1 tablespoon at a time, until beef juices have been absorbed.
step 2: Stir in tomatoes, tomato juice, and water. Simmer on low heat to thicken.
step 3: Stir in nutmeg and sugar; simmer until flavors are blended well.