Vegetable Lasagna Recipe
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 4 cups chopped broccoli (flowerets and stems)
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup snipped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (30 ounce) jar meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
step 1: Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine dried mushrooms and boiling water. Let stand for 20 minutes. Drain and squeeze mushrooms, reserving liquid. Remove and discard mushroom stems. Coarsely chop mushrooms. Set aside.
step 2: In a large skillet cook onion, green pepper, carrots, and garlic in hot margarine or butter until tender but not brown. Add broccoli and 1/2 cup reserved mushroom liquid. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes or until broccoli is just crisp-tender. Stir in mushrooms.
step 3: In a medium bowl stir together ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese, eggs, parsley, thyme, marjoram, and pepper.
step 4: In a 3-quart rectangular baking dish evenly spread 1/2 cup of the spaghetti sauce. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce. Layer with half of the cheese mixture, half of the vegetable mixture, and 1 cup of the spaghetti sauce. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spoon remaining spaghetti sauce over the top. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese.
step 5: Cover and bake in a 375 degree F. oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake about 10 minutes more or until heated through.