Venison Jerky Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground venison or beef
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar-based curing mixture (such as Morton® Tender Quick®)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons barbeque seasoning
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
step 1: In a large bowl, combine ground venison, salt, MSG, hot sauce, curing mixture, barbeque seasoning, water, liquid smoke, garlic powder, and pepper; mix thoroughly. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
step 2: Line food dehydrator trays with plastic wrap. Pat meat mixture into a very thin layer on the trays. Place in dehydrator set according to manufacturers directions. Once the meat has firmed up, after about the first 2 hours, remove it from the plastic, cut into strips, and replace onto the racks. Continue until the meat is done drying, about 5 to 10 hours total depending on machine.
step 3: When finished, blot off any grease with a paper towel. Store in the refrigerator in a jar with a tight fitting lid.