Vietnamese Beef And Lettuce Curry Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 5 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chile sauce
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups lettuce leaves, torn into 1/2 inch wide strips
step 1: In a pot, bring the rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 25 minutes.
step 2: In a bowl, mash together the sugar and 1 clove garlic with a pestle. Mix in the fish sauce, water, chile sauce, and lemon juice.
step 3: Heat the oil in a wok over high heat, and quickly saute the 3 cloves garlic. Mix the beef into the wok, season with cumin, and cook until evenly brown. Pour in the tomatoes and about 1/2 the fish sauce mixture. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes, until thickened.
step 4: Toss the lettuce into the beef mixture. Serve at once over the cooked rice with the remaining fish sauce mixture on the side.