Wild Rice and Cheese Soup Recipe
- 2 cups shredded smoked Gouda or Cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons margarine or butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 medium cooking apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice
- 1 1/4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup brown ale or amber beer
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2/3 cup half-and-half or light cream
- fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
step 1: In a medium bowl toss cheese with flour; set aside. In a 2-quart saucepan melt margarine or butter. Add onion. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 4 minutes or until tender. Add 3/4 cup of the apple, the cooked rice, chicken broth, beer, and pepper.
step 2: Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Slowly stir in cheese mixture until melted. Stir in half-and-half or light cream. Cook over medium-low heat until just heated through. To serve, ladle into warmed bowls; top with remaining chopped apple. Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs, if desired.