Wine Country Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 pound boned beef sirloin, fat trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pressed or minced garlic
- 3/4 pound fresh shiitake or mixed mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup Pinot Noir or other dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons cognac
- 2 tablespoons prepared oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
step 1: In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 to 4 quarts water to a boil. Add noodles, return to a boil, and cook, stirring occasionally, until barely tender to bite, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and pour into a large serving bowl.
step 2: Meanwhile, rinse beef and pat dry. Cut meat across the grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
step 3: Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil into a 12-inch frying pan or 14-inch wok over medium-high heat; when hot, add beef and stir until browned on the edges but still pink in the center (cut to test), 2 to 3 minutes. Pour into another bowl.
step 4: Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to pan; when hot, add onion and garlic and stir until onion is limp, 3 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and stir often until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
step 5: Add wine, cognac, and oyster sauce to mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer to blend flavors, about 5 minutes.
step 6: Add cream and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cold water until smooth. Add to mushroom mixture and stir until it boils and thickens, about 2 minutes.
step 7: Add sour cream and beef with any accumulated juices to pan and stir just until heated through, about 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
step 8: Pour the beef Stroganoff over hot noodles. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.