Winter Squash and Lentil Bisque Recipe
- 2 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 green apples, cored and chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 6 slices French bread 1/4 inch thick
step 1: Heat squash, apples, onion, applesauce, apple juice, nutmeg, red pepper and 1 cup of the broth to boiling in 3-quart saucepan, stirring occasionally; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
step 2: Place squash mixture in blender or food processor. Cover and blend on medium speed until smooth; return mixture to saucepan. Stir in lentils and remaining broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender.
step 3: Set oven control to broil. Sprinkle cheese on bread slices. Place on rack in broiler pan. Broil bread with tops 3 inches from heat about 2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Top each serving of soup with slice of cheese bread and chopped onion.