Zeke's Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 36 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 15 cups water
- 15 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 (14 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup dried oregano
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 avocado - peeled, pitted and sliced
step 1: In a saucepan, cover chicken breasts with water and boil for 30 minutes, or until tender. Shred into small pieces; set aside. Meanwhile, heat oil in a deep-fryer or large cast-iron skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Fry tortilla strips from about 6 tortillas at a time, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
step 2: In a large stockpot, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the bouillon cubes and reduce heat to a simmer. In a blender, combine the can of tomatoes, onion and garlic. Blend on high until smooth. Pour the blended mixture into the stockpot and stir in the coriander, cumin, black pepper, chili powder and oregano. Add carrots, celery and diced tomatoes with chilies. Cover pot and simmer for about 25 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Stir in shredded chicken and cook 5 more minutes.
step 3: Serve hot topped with fried tortilla strips, and garnish with shredded cheese and avocado slices.