Zesty Taco Casserole Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 (8.75 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can vegetarian chili
- 2 cups coarsely crushed corn chips
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
step 1: Combine rice and water In a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
step 2: Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and garlic in oil until tender. In a medium bowl, combine chile peppers, salsa, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cottage cheese, corn, chili, and cooked rice. Stir this mixture in with the onions and peppers. Cook until heated through. Transfer to a 2 quart casserole dish, and top with chips and cheese. Use more or less cheese to taste.
step 3: Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.