Ziti with Italian Sausage Recipe
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound dry ziti pasta
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
step 1: In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage with celery and onion until sausage is evenly browned, about 5 to 10 minutes. Drain excess grease, and set aside.
step 2: In another skillet over medium-low heat, combine tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic powder, salt, and oregano. Simmer while preparing pasta.
step 3: Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
step 4: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a 3 quart baking dish, layer ziti, mushrooms, sausage, mozzarella cheese, and sauce. Repeat layers, and top with grated Parmesan.
step 5: Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until browned and bubbly.